Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The concept of "reading" has changed

When I was young, I used to love to read. Mind you, this was well before computers, video games (well, except for Atari!), and 1,597 TV channels.

These days, I don't read as much. I find it hard to take the time to sit down and dedicate time exclusively to reading a book. It seems like there's always something else that needs to be done. That's why I'm grateful for audio books!

My wife makes fun of me for listening to audio books. I think she considers it cheating. But I love it...it lets me multi-task! I've been listening to books all day long at work, while I do the dishes, folding laundry, painting, etc. It certainly helps pass the time. The only downfall is that I don't always comprehend the book 100% of the time. If I get really involved in whatever other task I'm working on, sometimes my attention slips from the book and I miss out on a portion and have to rewind.

Recently I found the site Podiobooks.com, where authors record their books, free of charge, and post them online. If you're into audio books, I definitely suggest checking it out. If you're an iTunes user, you can subscribe to the books directly through it.

2 comments:

Cake Lady said...

Thanks for the tip. I usually check mine out from the library and listen to them in the car. They relax me, which in turn causes me to slow down.

Oh great One said...

That's a good idea. I don't get to read nearly as much as I used to. If I do find time it's broken up by getting someone's juice or cleaning up someones mess...... I might have to give it a try!