Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Emotional (Sporty) HNT

My apologies for the long post. However, if you're a football fan, I'm sure you can relate.

I don't get emotional about too many things. I'm a pretty laid back kind of guy, and won't cause too much of a stir when things don't go my way. However, there's one thing that will send me into a counch-punching, profanity-driven tirade...

...Football. The college type, that is. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a huge Cornhusker fan. Like most football fans, I like to see my team win, and win big if possible. When we're not playing up to the level that I think they should be playing at, I let everyone within a three mile radius know about it.

For some bonus HNT coverage, I'd like to show you some of the emotions that I go through on any given Saturday (but more specifically, this past Saturday while playing Wake Forest.

First, there's the Preparation phase. This is right as the game is beginning. I have high hopes, and can't wait to see what we're going to do. My lucky 1989 autographed football is always there with me. I'm always wearing my #12 jersey (that's Bobby Newcombe from a few years back. He was a prick and left the team because he didn't get his way, but I've just been too lazy to go out and get a new jersey), and my favorite Husker cap.


Next, we have the Confusion stage. This is the point where I'm starting to question everything about the team. Who are these guys on the field, and what did they do with the guys that I thought we had playing for our team? I start to wonder what the hell Keller is doing forcing the ball between two defenders. Why does he have to stare down his receiver? Why in God's name does Callahan keep running Lucky up the middle when Castille is a better power back?

Next we have the Frustration stage. We aren't making any plays, and the lead is switching back and forth. The only thing keeping us in the game is the defense...and barely! By this time, the hat has come off, and there's a slight indentation in the couch. The neighbors start coming out of their homes to see what all the swearing and yelling is about. Fortunately, my wife isn't home or else she's probably be washing my mouth out with soap.


Lastly comes the End of the Game stage. This can go one of two ways. The first, and most preferable way for everyone in my path, is that we win. The second is that we lose. In this case, I go through a fit of depression for the next several hours, wondering about the what-if's and how-comes. My family knows to leave me to my sulking for the rest of the day. If it's a large upset, I might go until Sunday before I speak again.


As you can probably see in the last picture, we won this weekend (barely) against an unranked but decent Wake Forest team. Let's hope we can pull together a little more enthusiastic game this Saturday against the USC Trojans.

Happy Sporty HNT everyone!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I sort of envy the passion of sports fans. Cheers and Happy HNT!

Blissfully Wed said...

I prefer NFL to college, but I admit there's nothing like the passion of a college sports fan.

Cool HNT!

Vixen said...

LOL! I love those! Very well done!!! :)

happyHNT!

S said...

LOL Well I needed to know all these steps, Mr Ratburn does not watch sprots.

HHNT!

Kittie Kate said...

That's like me watching the Bears.
Good luck against USC. USC = University of Spoiled Children.
Happy HNT!

BTExpress said...

I know how you feel. Al except the good defense part. My Giants don't have a defense this year, the bums! They can kiss my...... oh wait, you know that already. Happy HNT!

tkkerouac said...

Cool...typical guy, lol, Happy Sports HNT!

Polt said...

you dont have the "stuffing your face with nachos" phase, nor the "throwing the beer can at the TV over the blind as a bat ref's bad call" phase. But otherwise, it looks like me on Sundays. :)

HAPPY HNT!

The Ethical Slut said...

That is some serious passion. I remember that Huskers LOVE their football.

I had a boyfriend when I lived there that had that same passion. Some weekends were very quiet, so tell your wife I understand!

HHNT!

Lapis Ruber said...

Glad your team won. Happy HNT

~d said...

I try to watch college ball. I watched Penn State last week, and I can make it thru abt half of an LSU game. I do know the emotions, though-Jeez!
Happy HNT!

Oh great One said...

Ha! I always thought you and CCB would be great friends and these pictures are more evidence! You have some of the same poses he does during a game!

Shibari said...

love the pics...
xoxo

tkkerouac said...

would you like to submit one of these for tonights Sporty theme post on momtheminx?

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!! Happy HNT!! I don't watch much sports but I was so sad to hear about Kevin Everett!!

tkkerouac said...

I've posted you in favourites Mike, You are up!

Mark Leslie said...

What a great series of shots and explanation outlining the whole spectator process (I'm still laughing at the wife washing your mouth out with soap bit) Happy HNT!

Anonymous said...

This Husker info may just come in handy ... my sister even went out and bought me my first Nebraska shirt ... I haven't worn it yet ... baby steps ...